With each passing day, the number of smartphone users continues to grow. People increasingly rely on mobile apps to live through their daily routine and maintain a modern lifestyle. Our reliance on phones is highlighted by the fact that smartphone users, on average, check their phones 58 times a day.
As the demand for mobile apps increases, so does the number of apps developed. Researchers at Statista found that there had been 204 billion app downloads in app stores in 2019 alone. Likewise, the number of mobile developers has increased, with some estimates putting the figure to 12 million.
However, because of the sheer number of applications available to the market, mobile developers have to compete with others to gain the most following within the market. They must ensure that their product has the best quality and meets all requirements of their target market.
That said, without software testing, there is no way to ensure either of those things. For this reason, software developers and QA teams are in constant search for the best mobile testing tools to ensure the highest quality of mobile apps.
To help our readers, we have compiled a list of the mobile testing tools for both Android and iOS applications. By noting each tool’s key features, strengths, and weaknesses, we will help you choose the best mobile testing tools for your business.
Table of Contents
Developed by Sauce Labs, Appium is a highly robust, open-source automation testing tool. It provides a one-stop-shop for most mobile testers despite being distributed freely.
As Appium supports both Android and iOS apps, you can use it for testing hybrid, native or web-based applications. Not only that, but the tool also works seamlessly cross-platform, even on a variety of Linux distributions.
With features such as Webdriver Protocol support, robust test execution, multi-platform support, parallel execution, no need to rebuild the application, many consider Appium the best free mobile testing tool.
Open-source Mobile Testing Tool – Free
- Webdriver Protocol Support (You can use any web driver compatible language to write test scripts such as Java/Python/C)
- Robust Test Execution (can be integrated with various frameworks and other tools)
- No need to Rebuild Application (tests applications without needing access to codebases or recompiling apps)
- Parallel Execution
- Multi-Platform Support
- You don’t need to modify your app
- Automation of API testing is easy
- Free, open-source platform
- Translates UIAutomator (Android) or Selenium Webdriver commands into UIAutomation (iOS) depending on the device instead of the OS
- Works on devices, emulators, and simulators
- Supports all standard platforms including Android, iOS, Windows, even Firefox OS
- Earlier versions are not supported although it offers direct support of Android versions 17 and higher
- No direct support for Android warnings
- More than 50 unknown bugs in iOS
Developed and launched by Xamarin, Calabash is an open-source mobile testing tool that enables users to perform automated acceptance testing. To write down automated UI test scripts, it allows you to use Cucumber.
As a free open-source automation testing tool, it helps software teams perform acceptance testing on both Android and iOS apps, but is restricted to native apps only. The best thing about this tool is that it is free of cost.
Open-source Mobile Testing – Free
- Offers separate automation libraries for iOS and Android.
- Contains libraries that allow test-code for interacting with native and hybrid apps programmatically
- Access to the Xamarin cloud service thus offers over 1000+ devices to test your application
- Behavior Driven Development (BDD)
- Parallel case execution
- Support for gestures and scrolling
- Calabash supports the cucumber framework, thus allows testers to embed the behavior of an application using English
- Test cases on more than 1000 devices in Xamarin Test Cloud
- Clear documentation
- Designed for users with limited coding experience
- Cucumber support
- Test cases are written only in Ruby
- Special preparation required for iOS testing
- No recording or play functions
- No code generation possible
Kobiton is a mobile testing tool equipped with the latest testing features and allows users to have full control of real mobile devices in manual testing. By giving users support for multi-touch gestures, device connection management, orientation, GPS simulations, camera, and speaker control, it provides all essential features for manual testing.
You can perform instant health-checks across 350+ devices or implement complete enterprise device labs based on the plans you choose. Being compatible with both iOS and Android, allows Kobiton to offer exciting features to a variety of developers.
Kobiton furnishes the process of testing provides and provides users with a seamless experience. Instead of posing as a mobile testing platform, Kobiton describes itself as a mobile experience platform. Although it is not a free mobile testing tool, the extent of features offered by the platform is impressive.
- Free Trial – Limited (~30) devices120UnlimitedUnlimitedFree Trial
- Team – $40 / Month – All devices500 mins / month – $0.14/minute on average
- Organization – $167 / Month – All devices2000 mins / month – $0.10/minute on average
- Enterprise – Quote Based
- Appium & Selenium Support
- Automated Testing
- Central Administration
- Device Lab Management
- Full Video Recording & Screenshots
- Functional Defect Reporting
- GPS Location Simulation
- Granular Permission Levels
- Local, Private & Public Devices
- Mobile Testing
- Natural Gestures
- Parallel Test Sessions
- Parameterized Testing
- Real Device Access
- Real-Time App Analytics
- Script Migration
- Secure/VPN Connections
- Supports Parallel Execution
- System Reporting
- Test Logs
- Third-Party Integration
- UI Testing
- Unicode Compliance
- Centralized testing history and data logs
- Effectively utilizes internal devices
- Support for Appium 1.6.4
- Simplified user experience to streamline test sessions
- Free Trial without credit card information
- Saves time
- Doesn’t support delayed test runs
- Paid app
TestComplete is an innovative mobile application testing tool optimized for developers. The tool provides you with a clean set of resources for finding bugs quickly. With the help of automation features, you can run robust and repeatable tests with ease.
TestComplete Mobile offers support for both hybrid ad native mobile apps. Compared to other tools in the market, it is a lot faster. At the same time, it provides effective support for both Android and IOS devices. TestComplete provides a friendly interface to test both Android and IOS apps.
- 30-day Free Trial
- TestComplete Base – From $6,594 to $11,764 (based on add-ons you choose)
- TestComplete Pro – From $9,037 to $11,445 (based on add-ons you choose)
- TestComplete Bundle – Quote Based Pricing
- Building Automated UI Tests
- Object Recognition Engine now with Artificial Intelligence
- HTML5 Test Automation
- Data-Driven Testing
- Automated Test Reporting & Analysis
- Selenium & TestComplete
- Keyword-Driven Testing
- Free Training and Support
- Create and run repeatable and robust UI tests across hybrid and native mobile apps
- Automate your UI tests on real mobile devices, virtual machines, or emulators
- No need to jailbreak your phone or tablet.
- Use script-free record and replay actions to create automated test scripts
- Intuitive User interface
- Aside from mobile, it integrates with different software types such as web-based, desktop-based, etc
- Keyword test is really easy to use
- Easily integrates with development workflows
- One-time purchase
- Lacks Beta testing for major releases
- Require some pretty manual steps to update test cases
Robotium is one of the leading frameworks for automated Android apps testing. It can be a helpful part of any technique.
Open-source Mobile Testing – Free
- Robotium handles multiple android activities in parallel
- You can create powerful test scripts in minimal time, without having a deep knowledge of the project
- Synchronizes with Ant or Maven easily and runs tests as part of continuous integration
- You can run test cases on pre-installed applications
- Ability to create scenarios for functionality and system testing of multiple actions
- Suitable for apps with available source code or an APK file
- Fast case execution
- Integration with Maven and Ant
- Automated synchronization
- Only one test can be performed at a time
- Doesn’t work with Flash or web components
- Limited to Android devices
Developed by Google, EarlGrey is an open-source native test framework used for UI test automation in iOS. This framework is also used internally by Google for functional testing of native iOS apps like Youtube, Google Calendar, Google Photos, Google translate, and others. It gives QAs access to enhanced synchronization features for stable UI testing.
The built-in synchronization is a key feature that enables test scripts to wait for specific UI events to occur before directly starting an interaction with the application UI. EarlGrey automatically synchronizes with the UI and network requests; however, it still allows a user to implement the customized timings manually.
Open-source Mobile Testing – Free
- Native Development
- Visibility Checks
- User-Like Interaction
- Completely open-source framework
- High-level synchronization
- Test actions are performed only on UI elements
- Limited to iOS devices
- Some calls in EarlGrey can’t find elements when using accessibilityLabel
- Sometimes EarlGrey finds multiple elements although there is only one element.
Mobile application testing has a significant impact on the performance and success of your application. It maximizes the performance, capability, and quality of a mobile app while validating its core functions.
Choosing the best mobile app testing tool can help you and your team identify critical problems within the software. That said, ultimately, a mobile testing tool is just a tool itself. Unless your team has proper training and knowledge to make use of that tool, it wouldn’t create value for you.
Moreover, every mobile testing has limited functionalities in one way or another. Users have to supplement the lack of features with the expertise of testing professionals. This is why to build high-quality software, you need a reliable testing service with expertise in mobile testing.
Performance Lab is a testing service dedicated to ensuring the best software quality for mobile applications, enterprise apps, microservices, and web technologies. We have served over 500 companies across a wide variety of domains that range from finance and healthcare to retail and technology.
With years of experience at our disposal, our testers have learned how to ensure that mobile applications function seamlessly, regardless of whether they are native or hybrid. Our in-depth knowledge of various testing procedures helps us find hidden issues in different components of the software and deliver the best solution for your business.
Besides Mobile Testing, the company has expertise in other core software testing services, such as Performance Testing, Usability Testing, Integration Testing, Test Automation, Security Testing, and much more.
With knowledge in such diverse ranges of software testing, our team can test your product in terms of usability, performance, security, etc., helping you outperform your competition. To learn more about the company feel free to visit our website at Performance Lab.